Sunday, August 30, 2009

Kleenex Mentality

Twice in my life, in traveling the world, this totally blind man became lost from his guide. Once, in taking the ferry from Dover to Calais, my guide and I became separated and I got on the wrong train to Paris. I was supposed to ride, of course, in a first class train but someway, somehow in the spillage of the train station, with all the school children on holidays from England to France and France to England, I got into a second class train full of French school children. Of course the trains travel very rapidly, and they take up little time for problems in railroad stations. The French children were very excited to have a blind American in their car and when the conductor came through, contacting the teachers about the tickets for the children, they all said that I was traveling with them. When I arrived in Paris, and debarked from the train, I thought, “Now what am I going to do?” Through sounds, as usual, I made my way out of the station, then decided to go down the street because my chances of getting a taxi there would be much better than around the train station. I did find a taxi. I knew the hotel in Paris in which I was staying and in my broken French, I told the driver to go to that hotel. When I asked him if he would take American dollars for his fare, of course he said, “Mais, oui!” When I walked into the Sheraton, my guide was at the front desk, arranging to call out the French army, evidently to find me. I said, “Surely you realize a man who has traveled the world many times can get from Calais to Paris!”

Again, when in the Dhaka, Bangladesh, the poorest, most frustrating, most populated place on earth, I was separated from my guide by a mob on the riverbank near a very populated part of of the city. According to AP, over 7 million people are snake-bitten in Bangladesh each year, and of that number 6,000 die. Much of the year, as now, about half the land is covered with water, so there are snakes everywhere, and I am deathly afraid of snakes. Finally, some police officer took me to a police station. In Bangladesh, women are mostly in charge of government, and they are very corrupt; the last two Prime Ministers both went to prison for corruption. A cold, calculating woman took me into an interrogation room and I think, just to get her kicks, began questioning me about what I was doing in Bangladesh. She said, “You Americans are so transparent in your aggression- you like to come into poor countries, make photographs of poor people, and then return home with arrogant pride, and bask in your opulence.” I said to her, “Dear lady, I am not a political or media figure, I am just passing through your country, and if you will be good enough to help me get back to my hotel, where my guide is trying very hard to find me, I will make sure he gets me out of your country, and I promise to never return.” About that time, my frustrated guide came in the room, relieved to find me, and my interrogator said, “I have tried to give him a hard time, but he is one slick blind man.” To this day, I have no desire to return to that God-forsaken country and their snakes, reptiles, and mammalian.

In this “Kleenex Mentality”, where it is difficult to remember horrendous news flashes from one week to the next, our problems are incomprehensible by the “pile on effect”: one problem just piles onto another, and before we can understand the problem of this week, we are deeply involved in the problems of next week. Instead of solutions, one after another, in the canyons of Wall Street, in the sorcery-ridden streets of the nation's capital, in the state house, and even the local court house, most debauchery is not discovered and that which is discovered is seldom brought to light or solved. Instead of light overcoming the darkness, darkness just keeps enveloping the light.

A frustration, to most Americans, is the knowledge of the obscenity and insanity of Wall Street thievery, the parasites who are sucking the very life out of the economy, awarded with tremendous bonuses. Incompetence in business and elsewhere, bailed out by hardworking, sweating, pockets-picked citizens, the politicians who claim to be able to fix the problems are the very ones who cause the dilemma.

An administration, the most anti-life, culture of death ideology ever to be in power (abortion, euthanasia), claim to have the answer for all health care. Will you even imagine that Kathleen Sibelius, Secretary of Health and Human Resources, who was the largest contributor to Dr. Tiller, who killed 60,000 babies each year, is now interested in the lives of babies, and certainly not in the lives of the elderly who engulf most health care dollars in their last years of life? The “Kleenex Mentality”, in health care, as with every other tax supported care- just use if possible, then throw away.

Supposedly, the new digital television “is an advanced broadcasting technology that has transformed your television viewing experience. DTV has enabled broadcasters to offer television with better picture and sound quality. It also offers multiple programming choices, called multicasting, and interactive capabilities”. There is something very strange about the evolution of television. I have always been suspicious of television reception and perception. Since this invention has become the “idol worship” in most homes, adults and children bowing down to this idol, glued to it for many hours, “dumbed down” by its mediocrity, and failure to challenge intelligence development. I believe that Satan has engulfed the mind with a tissue of subliminal impotence not sustainable in a world of accomplishment. I am told that in this new system (digital) school children, when watching programs on this new television, immediately go to sleep- they simply cannot stay awake. And, that adults, already couch potatoes, are more incompetent than ever. Please answer why perfectly good television sets are no longer usable without the attachment of a digital converter box? In a 'cash for clunkers' program, why not pay citizens for their old, turned-in TV sets? In the Obama world, those who have never worked for anything just get paid for turning in old things since somewhere, somehow under the “rules for radicals”, borrowed money will pay for disposables!

In the world of psycho-physical, where evil men have such black hearts, it is incomprehensible that a child can be kidnapped at age eleven, kept completely isolated from the world as a slave of the kidnapper, and then show up eighteen years later with two young children of her own, who have never been exposed to life outside of a small fortress. Our neighbors and law enforcement so totally immune to the world around them, our service repair people, even other children in the community so deaf and so blind that they cannot have suspicions about one house in one community. In our “Kleenex mentality”, do we just spend every day in such a routine that we no longer are afforded suspicions or imaginations? Was it the Stockholm syndrome? Is it conceivable that one physician certainly known by pharmacists and other physicians to be a “rock-star” care-giver, could be using medications not normal to pharmacists or law enforcement? Have we become so indoctrinated by the bizarre, and infected by mediocrity, that wholesome introspection is no longer expected? Our “Kleenex mentality” applies to not only physical objects, but mental callousness- we just don't care, anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment