Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Sweetness of Little Things




The small coins of love!

(J.R. Miller, "Evening Thoughts" 1907)

"Be kind and compassionate to one another" Ephesians 4:32

We should be always kind. Nothing is more helpful than kindness. Nothing else does more to brighten the world and sweeten other lives.

Kindnesses are the small coins of love. We should always be ready to scatter these coins wherever we go. Kindnesses are usually little things that we do as we go along our daily path--wayside acts, touches, words, little helpful things. We never know when we do any little thing in love for Christ, what the end of it will be--what a harvest of good will finally come from it. It is better to do a thousand little kindnesses every day, than to do a great deed of love once in a year, and then fail to be kind in the common days.

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." Colossians 3:12



Addition | From Dr. T.R. Morris

The Sweetness of Little Things

This writer, to the end of his days, will never understand human beings. Even so-called "Christians," playing games with God, thinking that the creator of the universe can be fooled. Do you control the game, or does the game control you? It was never intended for the church to exist for its own purpose. Those who claim the name of Christ, should have a different attitude in everything they do.

The great preacher, Charles Spurgeon said, "Kindness is so sweet that even honey looses its taste." In this world of big "I," little "you," most of us grovel-grasp for any kindness. Have you noticed that in television programs, radio programs, even sermons at the church house, people are grasping for a chance to smile or laugh-- they will laugh at just about anything.

The loneliest life is the life of the disabled-- wheelchair bound, blind, deaf, and certainly those with incurable diseases (diabetes, cancer, cardiac problems). Mark Twain said, "Kindness costs so little." This old blind man yearns for signs of kindness-- someone opening a door for him, a waitress actually reading a menu, or explaining where food is located on my plate.

I was just a small child when it happened. One of my father's friends worked at the North Carolina Hospital for the Negro Insane (Goldsboro, NC), now called Cherry Hospital. My father had stopped by the hospital to see his friend there. I do believe I started life with inquisitive mind. I was always asking questions and observing everything around. At that time, as in most military installations, public buildings were built with large porches due to summer heat. The black inmates filled the porches, their hands above them, tied to the ceiling. There they stayed all day-- in the filth of their own defecate. The hog pens of today would not be worse. These human beings only had one life to live. Many years later I saw almost the same scene in an asylum in the nation of Israel. If we cannot be kind, even to one another, in the best of circumstances, just think what happens in the worst of circumstances. In a world of political correctness, where the media does not want to offend anyone-- particularly Obama supporters-- the truth is truth, whether anyone believes it or not. For instance, radiation surrounds the earth from the worst nuclear accident in history in Fukushima Japan. Another 4.2 earthquake shook Fukushima recently, but there wasn't a word of it in the news media.

We need the kindness of concern-- news media, pulpit, and legislative groups. No matter the education, wealth, or genes, most people you meet are carrying around baggage and so need some kindness.

Others
Lord, help me live from day to day
In such a self-forgetful way
That even when I kneel to pray
My prayer shall be for—Others.
Others, Lord, yes others,
Let this my motto be,
Help me to live for others,
That I may live like Thee.
Help me in all the work I do
To ever be sincere and true
And know that all I’d do for You
Must needs be done for—Others.
Let “Self” be crucified and slain
And buried deep: and all in vain
May efforts be to rise again,
Unless to live for—Others.
And when my work on earth is done,
And my new work in Heav’n’s begun,
May I forget the crown I’ve won,
While thinking still of—Others.

No comments:

Post a Comment