Thursday, April 3, 2014

Eternal Security



Eternal Security

See then that ye walk circumspectly, no as fools, but as wise.  Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.  Ephesians 5:15-16

******

The birds and lilies teach me better!

(Alexander Smellie, "The Hour of Silence" 1899)
"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" Matthew 6:26  

Let me not worry--the birds and lilies teach me better. God spreads a table for the sparrows, and clothes the wayside anemones with their exquisite beauty. And I am dearer to Him by far. I, who am made in His image, and for whom His Son has died, and whom He means to dwell with Him in His Heaven--I occupy a larger place in His heart of hearts.  

Let me not worry--it serves no good purpose to fret and worry. I cannot, with all my solicitude, add a cubit either to my stature or to my age. Anxiousness will only plunge me into mental distress and annoyance and sorrow, without bringing me any compensating advantage whatever. It knows how to wound; but ah! it does not know how to heal.  

Let me not worry--a child should have more confidence in his Father's wisdom and watchfulness and love. It may be excusable for worldly men and women to worry--but not a son in the royal and wealthy family of the King of kings! There is no justification for him if he goes worried and burdened during the day, and lies down to hours of sleeplessness at night.
"So do not worry . . . For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them!" Matthew 6:31-32 

******

            This writer never understood eternal security until he saw a father and his small son walking down the street one day.  The father had the son's hand clasped very tightly instead of the son hanging onto the father's hand.  So it is with us, believer's in Christ-redeemed by the grace of God, God holds onto us very tightly. 

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.  - Hebrew 13:5


            Marriages-businesses-lives flounder and fail from individuals not having the faith and grace to depend on the sovereignty of God.  We know that God takes care of birds and other animals; surely He will care for us!  George Matheson, a Scottish blind preacher, afflicted with financial problems after undergoing a renewal of his faith, wrote the hymn "O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go."  George Muller, another English minister, founder of the Ashley Down Orphanage, cared for over 10,000 children.  Often he did not know where the food would come to feed the children, but it always showed up.

            Recently, this blind veteran spoke to a group at a local university.  I stated that my greatest disability in life has not been a lifetime of blindness, the impact of growing up in poverty, my struggles through 8 years of university education.  My greatest disability resulted from not having ever received encouragement.  I cannot remember one time, in my entire life, when a relative, associate, anyone, said to me, "I can only imagine what you have lived through."  Everyone needs encouragement.  The Christian holds fast to the knowledge that God cares; that we can be secure in His promises. 

Fear thou not; for I am with then:  be not dismayed; for I am thy God:  I will strengthen the; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. - Isaiah 41:40

No comments:

Post a Comment