Friday, May 27, 2016

#1825 An Old Soldier Salute


An Old Soldier Solute

On
Veterans Day

Glorify the Lord with me;
    let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
    he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
    their faces are never covered with shame. (Psalms 34)

            A veteran expects nothing extra. It would be wonderful and expected if the veteran could receive what his government promised him when he enters the military service. Just to serve, just to wear the uniform is a privilege.
            Yesterday, one of my friends left to fly to Normandy for the 75th anniversary. This Veteran was at Normandy for the 25th anniversary.
            In the American experience, next to slavery, the greatest shame of America is its treatment of disabled veterans and handicap citizens.
            For fifty years, this veteran has been totally blind, 100% disabled. I was a medical officer during the Korean War Era. There have been many disappointments in my life. You never recover from poverty or permanent disability, you just learn to trust in God and keep close to that clear- sharp voice "I am all you need".
            I was on the staff of Army hospitals, I saw the best and worst in military sick care  treatment. I wish I could say that I have seen improvement but, in spite of the publicity, in spite of congressional reaction, conditions have only worsened. One of my VA doctor friends, Dr. Charles B. said to me, "the employees working here just keep breathing until they can get that retirement check." When I was young, there was a few WWI Veterans alive, their all gone as well as most of the WWII Veterans.
            I had two relatives who were gassed in Europe during WW1, as far as I know, they never received any veterans benefits. Like the veterans of WWII, they were just thankful to go home and go to work, raising a family, building a community.
            My first real encounter with the horrors of warfare, while in school in Memphis, I've pulled time carry for patients at the Millington VA Hospital. In one room there was four soldiers who had lost both arms and legs; just trunks laying on special beds. A nurse took care of them completely. Of course, they did not live very long. Later, involved in the activities of a nearby city, I came upon a WWI Veteran who had lost the use of both legs, he had designed a contraption of bicycle parts, whereby he could move around town using his arms to manipulate the vehicle. He stayed on one street corner and sold candy bars and pencils. He told me that he did not receive anything from the Veterans Administration but he was thankful to be able to help himself.
            There are 166,000 of our finest buried in overseas cemeteries. This was before the time when bodies were brought home. I stood at that great cemetery at Manila, Philippines, where 18,000 are buried. Of course there are 250,000 buried at Arlington.

            When children and young people are in their most sensitive sexual years, when the politically correct adults are confused about "bathroom training"- gender identity, let us be thankful that there was a time when real men, supported by real women were willing and able to put our national honor to the test on the alter of liberty. America, bull work of freedom, knowing the challenge involved in freedom of religion- speech- defense, at the behest of political slave masters, now willing for self imprisonment. We have been conquered by the enemy of indulgent insolence, with out a shot being fired. Where are the Veterans, the pastors, the parents who profess to love this nation? 

No comments:

Post a Comment