Tuesday, February 7, 2017

 #1939

Sundial-Drama-Drums



Prologue Dr. Morris:

Just a very short distance from my house, where I am seated right now, the mighty Cape Fear River, known for its swift-frightful current.  If you fell in, you would not last a minute.  This is nothing compared to the river that will swallow us all-the river of death.  And, at the same rate of speed, every human being approaches that river-every second-every minute-everyday.  If there is one thing, the human being does not want to think about it is the matter of approaching death...the drum sounds, the everyday drama of life limiting activities such as disease and disaster.  The sundial which will eventually fade for all, there are no exceptions; the mortality rate is still 100%. 

I remember how angry my mother's sisters were when my father had the local funeral home transport my mother to the hospital via the funeral home hearse.  My father was very angry about the manner in which the EMS ambulance drove, he was afraid that the ambulance would wreck taking her to the hospital.  I said, "At least she knows how comfortable the hearse ride is because most ride in it without knowing its tranquility." 

Man is the only animal who knows that he is going to die.  Those of us on the farm know how unconcerned other hogs or cows were as members of their group were butchered.  They just paid no attention, just kept on eating-drinking.  Human beings are very rapidly approaching the same indifference toward the deaths of one another...fewer and fewer mourners at funerals, a nonchalance about the deaths of those buried in military uniforms.  Dry-eyed funerals, it is just a matter of getting it over.  In some countries professional-paid mourners are hired, who wail-cry, to show some grief and remorse at death.  One lady I know shed so many tears when her dog died, there were no tears at the death of her mother and father.  A funeral director told me that in many families after the deceased body is picked up at the home or hospital, someone will call and just say; put her/him in next to the cheapest casket and then put over the casket a church pall or military or Christian flag.  (They don't want observers to see the cheapness of the casket.)  Graveside burial is usually private, more and more are choosing even the cheaper route of cremation.  He told me that I would be amazed at how many families never even look at the deceased, keep the entire death totally sanitized.  And we know, that most family members never return to the cemetery after internment.  Someone with the responsibility will probably pick out a headstone from a catalog.

This world traveler visited the great Chinese cemetery in Manila, Philippines, there permanent housing surround the tomb and families go out and spend the weekend with the deceased.  I so remember, as a boy in the country, on every farm plantation, the family cemetery was near by and deaths of family members were always in sight.  Country churches always had a cemetery near the church.  At church homecomings, it was a matter of pride and promise that those attending the church homecoming would visit graves of deceased members placing flowers.  On some south sea island nations, it was a matter of practice to bury family members in the yard...I always saw tombstones in yards of houses. 

Death is part of the drama of life, we might as well face it, and it is coming.  Someone asked me what I would do different, if I knew like a condemned death row prisoner, just when I was going to die.  I can honestly say that I would not do anything different today, if I knew I was going to die tomorrow.  Everyday of my life, I live with the same attitude, "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."  (Psalm 118:24)  Going on 87, in spite of blindness, aggravations, disappointments, harassments, pains, etc, the wearing out of the body and every other deterioration of life and the world around us, I am still happy for everyday.  STILL GIVE THE BEST VERSION OF MYSELF EVERYWHERE-EVERYDAY.  (I never leave the house without wearing a dress shirt and a tie; have never had on flip flops.)  I am thankful, basking in the love of my savior.  Everyday, I have my own communion service, a small bite of bread and taste of wine, observing, in his memory, what he did for me on Calvary, healing and redeeming, his stripes and his precious blood.  I have not forgotten but have forgiven those who did bad things to me, and I die with the knowledge that I have been forgiven.  And, with these thoughts, I would not change one thing, ready to disembark at any time.  "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."  (2 Timothy 4:7-8)

Today's Puritan AUDIO Devotionals:
Spurgeon's Morning by Morning, February 7
Play Audio! Download Audio
   ~  ~  ~  ~
What answer can you give to these very important questions?

(James Smith's autobiography, "Marvelous Mercy!" 1862)

On the last day of this year, I wrote in my diary as follows: 
"Through the richest mercy, I am now brought to the close of another year, let me therefore ask you, my soul--What are your improvements this past year?

Is Christ more precious? 

Do His work, righteousness, and blood, appear inestimable? 

Do you see more of His suitability, and feel a stronger attachment to Him? 

Is His glory dearer to you, and His honor more precious in your sight? 

Do you feel more devoted to Him, and find greater pleasure in His service? 

Do you lie lower at the foot of the cross, and is Jesus more lovely in your eyes?

Are you more humbled before God under a sight and sense of your sinfulness? 

Is your temper, disposition, and will--more subdued by grace? 

Does grace reign, and sway its scepter over all your powers?

Is sin more hateful, death less fearful, and Heaven more desirable? 

Is the Bible more prized, and are you better acquainted with its contents, living under the influence of its holy precepts? 

Is holiness and entire devotedness to God more sought after? 

Are you seeking to live nearer to Jesus, to trust more unreservedly to Him, and to leave all your concerns in His hands? 

Are you more earnest in your desires to be made useful to His flock and family? 

Are you more prayerful, more given to meditation? 

Is it your one grand desire and aim, to crown Jesus Lord of all? 

Speak, my soul--
what answer can you give to these very important questions? Speak as in the sight of God, as though you were placed before the tribunal of the Most High God! Let the Holy Spirit, who searches all things, be your witness that you speak the truth, and nothing but the truth!"
   ~  ~  ~  ~
For further reading: J.R. Miller's uplifting two page article, "Cheerful Counsel for Christians".
   ~  ~  ~  ~
Feel free to FORWARD these gems to others who may be encouraged or profited by them!




No comments:

Post a Comment