Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Citizen Code of Conduct






The Uniform Military Code of Conduct is as follows, without the explanatory information:

Article I

I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

Article II

I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.


Article III

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

Article IV

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.


Article V

When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

Article VI

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.



For those of us who have had the honor of wearing the uniform of our country, this code was our lifeline to God, family and country and provided the esprit de corps binding each warrior to his fellow warriors, each son and daughter of America to the promises provided by our Constitution and bill of rights. Our flag, our pledge of allegiance, our Constitution, our love, one for another, our memories of “home” provided the eternal vigilance, under God for our life and death struggles, our ambition to live with disability.

During WWII, when the population of this country was much less than it is today, and we were fighting wars on two fronts, with the effort involved in forces for the front lines, ship building, weapons manufacturing and all the other activities involved in a total war effort, one of the more successful civilian projects was that of the Civilian Conservation Corp. This involved, in a time of unemployment, rural and urban poverty, the enlisting of young men ages 18 – 25 (2.5 million men and 8,000 women) in 1500 camps across the nation for training and the building of national structures in a program of improving their health and education. Each received $30 a month in pay, $25 of which was required to be sent back to their family. The most revealing statistics of this program were the totally inadequate education and health care of young people.



Most had health problems which would not permit them into the regular military service. Many showed the inadequacies of the government schools. It was the first time these young people had ever been away from home, away from the shelter of their community. They were now exposed to adequate diets and hygiene. They saw the need for education and were thrown into the cauldron of other nationalities and for the first time in their life exercising routine and discipline. After their CCC experience many went on to further military experience, where they became outstanding leaders even in the officer ranks. They just needed the opportunity. Like those returning from the war and military conflict, these young people returning from the CCC camps, had a new outlook on life and were ready for remedial education and altogether became the backbone of our “greatest generation”.

One would think that after over 200 years of the American experience with more of our national treasury spent on education than anything else, we would have solved the problems of public education. More so than ever before, we see parents placing their much loved children in private schools. The greatest education experiment in America is the millions now being schooled at home. In NC 80,000 children are being home schooled. These parents, who choose to educate their children at home, are paying just as much tax on their property as those whose children are in the public school house who ride to school by public transportation but have the security of knowing their children are safe. There is a great need for the training of children in authentic manhood and womanhood. It is not just reading, writing and mathematics even though most are sorely lacking in these areas, but the simplest of matters of home life and living, such as washing clothes, making a bed, rudimentary cleaning.



Some of the saddest experiences of my life have been the employment of college students from this city on a part time basis. Since it was necessary for me to work my way through college, I have tried to employ college students. It is always, without exception, a sad experience. The last female, needing desperately to work, (according to what she told my assistant who interviewed her, was late to work her very first day and had to ask another assistant about using the washing machine, was unable to make the bed. Even though cautioned many times about moving things in a blind man's house, she just created absolute chaos. She was unable to do the simplest things. I tried dictating to her. This college student could neither spell or punctuate. I said, “Have you had a course in English?” She said, “Yes. I made an A.” If it were just this student at a community college, I could possibly understand. But, I find the same problems with university students.

We need to get back to the basics of educational principles needed in every life.

One: Emergency Preparedness

I firmly believe every person should know the basics of emergency health care, emergency care such as you would find in emergency situations, knowing how to keep someone alive, pressure points and circulation, keeping airways clear, restoring breathing, and such matters as skin, fractures, germ control. In Mali, the population is 55 million; and there are less than 400 doctors. In their socialized system, they have clinics but no health care personnel in the clinics. As was the case with our early ancestors who forged westward, you learn through common sense, to care for yourself and others. It is those first 10 minutes before the ambulance arrives that are most important for life and death. A good Red Cross, EMS basics should be taught to every school student.

Two: Economics

Every child should be taught the value of a dollar. In a time of prosperity and certainly in a time of recession, every school child should learn the importance of conservatism. I hear of young people who throw their lunch, paid for with tax dollars, into the garbage. I blame the teachers as well as the parents for not emphasizing the importance of eating healthy food. I blame the schools, as well as the parents for allowing students to buy soft drinks, the worst possible fluid a person can put in the human body and the very thing that has caused this country to have an epidemic of diabetes. I blame society, as well as parents, for allowing students to have credit cards and to never be satisfied with anything but to constantly shop. In this Kleenex “throw away” world in which we have more of everything than we need, restraint and reasonable buying practices should be instilled in every school child.

Three: Emotion

Mark Twain said, “politeness cost so little.” Self control and clear thinking before acting is essential not only in staying out of prison, but having a happy life. It is old as time, but the Golden Rule still works. Treat others the way you wish to be treated. In business and in life, treat others the way you wish to be treated and charge what you would be willing to pay. You only go around one time. Have as few regrets as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment