Wednesday, September 1, 2010

While America Slept




One of America's earliest and greatest authors, Washington Irving, wrote the story, Rip Van Winkle, the story takes place at the base of the Catskill mountains. A lackluster, henpecked husband, who wandered into the forest, got drunk, supposedly, through one of Henry Hudson's ghost sailors, laid down in the woods and slept for 20 years.

When he awakened he returned to his home village, found that his wife had died, his grown daughter took him in, only one or two old-timers in the village recognized him. In his long sleep, the American Revolution had taken place, everything had changed.

In 1940, Winston Churchill wrote the book While England Slept, this writer owns most of Churchill's first editions, including this book. I believe that Churchill knew that WWII was just an extension of WWI. He could not understand, neither could John F. Kennedy, who wrote a paper of almost the same name, Why England Slept. Both trying to understand the lack of preparation for war, when they could see, so easily, Hitler's intentions.

I am an old man, the world has changed almost totally in my lifetime. I keep three or four radios on, most of the time, just listening to developments in the world. One would think that the entire world has been asleep for many years, when we consider advancing technology and declining common sense. We know that Intelligence Quotients (IQ) are declining each year. I keep waiting for some smart university professor to tell me why, but there are very few smart university professors anymore. The scientific world has sold out to government grants, the academic world has sold out to political correctness. Like the politicians, talking heads, everyone, everywhere had rather that everyone like them, popularity has replaced probity.

Early pastors were interested in principles not prestige, early physicians were interested in potential not prosperity. Early teachers were interested in talent development, not union activity. Scientists, political leaders, even parents were more interested in their products, whether children or secrets from the unknown, than their retirement package. College was a transforming experience, so many books to read, so many brains of information, the student wanted to learn everything possible, good music, acceptable decorum, a separation from the commonplace, the common man, a college graduate was a person of ability, different from the rest of society.

It is necessary for me to depend on the assistance of others. Totally blind, I do about everything for myself...housekeeping, food, clothing, business. But there are some things I cannot do, I must pay someone to drive my car, to help me with my correspondence, the handling of my business, real estate, securities. I believe there was a time when any high school graduate could do these things for me. But, much to my dismay, most high school graduates have the potential of six graders of my generation.

The news came out this week that almost half of children entering school never graduate, especially among the male population. I simply do not know how these young people will manage in this world of technology, and the obtrusive economy.

Some years ago, I decided to dictate memories and commentaries involving my world travels, financial exploits, and the impressions of a disabled person concerning the world around him. The world to which normal people and society have put up a wall. I wanted my Christian testimony to be a matter of record, not just a matter of history and living. I felt it would be good for my grandsons, their sons, if for no other reason, to know something about me, my thoughts, the reasons I became what I am.

It is necessary, in order to accomplish this, that I dictate my thoughts, almost entirely from memory, to someone who types them into the computer. Writing years ago, when I still had eye sight, I would go over things, make corrections, let things ferment in a drawer, at least over night. Nothing is easy for a blind person, but in writing, if you can go back over things, your writing becomes much clearer, and it is so necessary to make corrections. I have hired nothing but college graduates to do this work for me. One assumes that a college graduate has been exposed to words of a limited vocabulary, such as mine. .One assumes that a college graduate can punctuate, spell, etc. Recently, I decided to send out again, some early writings, since so many people have been added to my list over the years. I apologize, I am embarrassed that such incomprehensible ineptness has left my house. I want to give just a few: poor pit (pulpit), Fredrick Niche (Nietzsche), desk bots (despots), nielism (nihilism), galas (gallows), Harry the Great (Herod the Great), wear (where), cout de tat (coup d'etat), martin millionaire (multi-millionaire).

These are just a few of the mistakes, so obnoxious, you would not call them faux pas. Have I been asleep for twenty years? Is this the best a college or university can do when they hand you a diploma? Several of these people have been school teachers working on weekends.

More astounding than this lack of education with college graduates, the fact, and it is a fact, friends of mine, relatives of mine, people on whom I should be able to depend in the academic world, even people at Christian schools. Not one, I repeat not one, thought enough of me and had enough respect for me, to tell me about what was going on. To disclose to me the incompetence of people to whom I was paying good money. Worse than the incompetence of workers, the incompetence of “supposed” Christians, who should be concerned about my good name...The fact that I honestly try to do everything correctly. I seldom leave my house without wearing a dress shirt and tie, my appearance is very important to me. I make sure my car, my house, my other properties, are all kept in first class condition. How is it possible that the world has become so callous, so unconcerned that there is no empathy what-so-ever, for the disabled, not even one who gave his eyes for their country?

Perhaps sorriness is excusable, with even college graduates, who simply do not care. But, has the world gone asleep, are people around me sleeping? So indifferent are they, to what is going on around them, even the writing of someone to whom they should have some respect. Someone should have said, “Tom, if you cannot find any better to take dictation, you should not embarrass yourself by sending such out.” Go back to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment