Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tongue Tied: The Frozen-Chosen





Take My Life And Let It Be
Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee. 
Take my voice, and let me sing always, only, for my King. Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect, and use every power as Thou shalt choose....

-- Frances R. Havergal, February 1874

            21st century Christians associate themselves with David and Paul, perhaps more than any other of the marvelous characters in God's book. These men knew life in the raw, active in all the challenges of living, yet able to rejoice and know the joys of God. David, "a man after God's own heart" (Acts 13:22), knew failings as well as forgiveness; knew the heartache of his own children. Paul, to whom we owe most of The New Testament, like David, failed God so many times, yet-- repentance/ forgiveness-- with blood running down his back, in the jail at Philippi, could rejoice and sing hymns. (This writer, so often asked to pray at public functions, has one message always: "Although I have failed my savior many times, He has never failed me.")

            Today's 21st century Christian, chosen to live at the time in history, is so tongue-tied-- the frozen-chosen-- when speaking to the unsaved about their marvelous redemption. Today's American citizen is living better than anyone could have dreamed-- even in my childhood-- with every electronic convenience (our ancestors were so wrong, it is not necessity, but laziness, who is the mother of invention). We have so much to live with, yet so little to live for. We become tongue-tied, the frozen-chosen, born to live at this time in history in recognizing-- even defending-- our great nation.  

            Recently a nurse, sent to my house each week by the Veteran's Administration to check on me (blood pressure, etc.) and to help with my food, said to me as I was sitting, waiting for someone to pick me up for a luncheon engagement-- wearing my veteran's hat, with my Medical Caduceus, Colonel's insignia, DAV-Korea insignias-- said to me, "Were you in the Army or something?"
           
            You see, people do not even recognize a veteran any more than they recognize the saving grace of Jesus Christ. A recent survey found that the average Christian spends two minutes a day in prayer, and the average preacher, just three minutes.

            My assistant recently took me by a yard sale, where the people were raising money for Diabetes research. They were selling mounds of cakes and pies-- sweets-- to the public. It is about like raising money for blind people by selling coloring books to the blind. We live in a broken-down culture.

            This writer was in a barbershop, getting his hair cut. I had never been in this shop previously. My barber had died, and I was looking for a new place. They knew me, and immediately decided to push my buttons about "religion." My barber said, "Doctor, don't you think it is just necessary to keep the 10 commandments."
            Another barber said, "Don't you think that Buddhists and Muslims will go to heaven too?" You see, in writing or speaking, it is not possible to explain everything fully, to even tell them how wrong they are. We must know that only God can draw them.

"No one can come to Me, unless the Father who sent Me draw him: and I will raise him up on the last day.''
John 6:44

            I became tongue-tied, one of the truly chosen, and said only, "I depend entirely on the mercy of God. I know He has forgiven me of my rotten sins, that I have repented, and stand amazed at His promises." The place fell very quiet.
            Not satisfied, one patron said, "Doctor, do you believe that it was necessary for you to serve in the military, and give what you have given for your country?" It was like the retired police chief from West Point, New York, who lived in the house next to me, telling me that his retirement check was close to $18,000.00 a month. He said I was so foolish to have given my life [eyes] for my country. You see, the veteran becomes tongue-tied-- frozen in disbelief-- when he realizes that those who were chosen to give their all for their country, are so unappreciated.

            At the foot of the cross, the charwoman, or the Queen of England-- the janitor or the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court-- all become totally dependent on the mercy of God. The gift of salvation is a free gift to all. If you could buy it, men would pay any price, would climb any mountain, or study a limitless number of books. Our salvation, our love for country, is beyond expression. One should not be embarrassed by being tongue-tied, when attempting to explain it. For God to be God, He has no needs. We need Him; He does not need us. Salvation and patriotism are two matters beyond explanation. It is a matter of the heart.

Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.
Philippians 4:4

No comments:

Post a Comment