Tuesday, October 6, 2015

And Who Says The World Is Not Crazy?

#1777

And Who Says The World Is Not Crazy?
“I really feel this is the way I was supposed to be born, that I should have been blind from birth,” the 30-year-old says.
Shuping, a sufferer of Body Integrity Disorder, remembers that she fantasized about being blind from the age of 6, acquired a white cane in her teens and had learned Braille by the time she was 20.
In 2006, Shuping finally found someone to help her realize her dream, which is when the psychologist poured drain cleaner in her eyes.
“It hurt, let me tell you. My eyes were screaming and I had some drain cleaner going down my cheek burning my skin,” Shuping says. “All I could think was, ‘I am going blind, it is going to be okay.’ “
After waiting 30 minutes before going to hospital, doctors were unable to save Shuping’s eyesight, which gradually declined over the next 6 months.
Despite the fact that her sister and mother completely cut off contact with her over the incident, Shuping says she has never been happier.
“The ethics of whether it is OK to take a normal person and make them disabled….I think you can make an ethical case that if you conceptualize this as treating a condition then it’s OK to do it,” according to Dr. Michael First, Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Columbia University.
According to her friend Alan Chase, the fact that Shuping chose to blind herself with drain cleaner is a “really inspiring story” and she has “contributed a lot to the blind community”.
Chase is completely correct. Following in the footsteps of the stunning and brave Caitlyn Jenner, Jewel Shuping could become the next civil rights icon.
Just as transgender people were once treated as mentally ill for wanting to slice off their penises, Shuping’s story illustrates how society’s judgment of pouring drain cleaner in your eyes as a negative thing is merely another form of vile discrimination.
Based on this premise, people who accuse Shuping of being mentally ill and making the wrong decision are bigoted, intolerant, and hateful.
The notion that Body Integrity Identity Disorder is a mental disorder at all is also incredibly ignorant.
Why shouldn’t people be encouraged to pour bleach into their eyes and hack off their limbs if it makes them happy? And why shouldn’t taxpayers be forced to pay for it, as they are in the United Kingdom for sex-reassignment operations?
Until we embrace the fact that pouring drain cleaner in your eyes is merely a different way for a person to express who they truly are, it’s arrogant to pretend that we are building a progressive society.
Now that the battle for transgender acceptance has been won, pouring drain cleaner in your eyes should be heralded as the next social justice movement, and anyone who questions the logic behind that should be publicly shamed and outed for the intolerant bigot they are.
This 85 year old, totally blind, 100% disabled, medical officer veteran of the Koran Conflict Era states to you, in no uncertain terms, "now you know that the world has gone crazy".
Next to life itself God blessed you with eyesight, your ability to see the world around you, your family, nature, appetizing food.
This blind writer was blessed to have had eyesight when young, even through college and my university medical training.  I have now been blind most of my life, have never adjusted to it, have suffered acute clinical depression because of total blindness.  Can you even imagine what life is like, living alone, taking care of yourself, putting up with sighted-thankless-intolerant people with whom you must work and live.  I cannot tell if a light is on in a room, have no idea what my son, two grandsons, 1 great granddaughter look like.  I wish I could have seen my wonderful parents before they were put in the ground.  I have learned to forgive those I employ, neighbors on the street, friends and associates who have no idea of what I go through with each and everyday of my life.  I now what God was talking about when he told us to "walk by faith not sight".  (2 Cor. 5:7)  BUT God is boss, all he expects from us is trust.  He has a way of leveling out the battlefield.  Most people, even church people, want the battlefield of life to be fought from air conditioned fox holes.  They, in their minds, have designed a God who is according to their making...a bell-hop available only when needed.  They go to church, "supposedly" sing his praises but have no empathy at all for the lost, the disabled, the less fortunate fellow human beings with whom they come in contact each and every day of their life.
Many disabled people call me on the phone because they have heard me on the radio for years.  They know that their family, friends, neighbors just go through the motions.  We do not want to be victims, many of us know that our disability, even our blindness have been our greatest blessing.  I know, and God knows my heart, that my greatest blessing has been my blindness BUT, I did not bring it on myself.  Would give anything to be able to see, read a newspaper, drive my car, see a good plate of food.  In my cocoon of blightness I meet my savior face to face AND, one day soon I will see him face to face.  
My friend Catherine, now long dead, was born blind.  I met her one time, she wanted to ride in my Cadillac and my driver took her for a ride.  She loved to talk with me about my travels, she asked me to tell her about skins of snakes/frogs/trees.  She had been given the advantage of university education but had never been taught the fundamentals.  One day, she and her dog, Alma, were run over by some sighted people in the street.  The car killed Alma and Catherine heard the young people laughing at them as they rode on down the street.  This blind writer has traveled the world, (passport stamped in 157 countries), 8 round the world trips.  In most countries, every continent, (sensing everything I could), I found that foreigners were very "kind" to the disabled.  It is only in America a land so blessed for "normal" people that the disabled are so despised.  I want to vomit when I hear this "slop" about love of veterans.  22 veterans commit suicide everyday.  The VA would like for every veteran to kill him or herself.  It is much cheaper to bury a veteran (cheap casket/flag) than to care for one.  How many physically disabled people do you encounter at your church, in a public meeting/concert of any type?  We pay taxes like everyone else but could write on a very small piece of paper any benefits to the disabled.  As one restaurant owner said to me, "we do not want disabled people eating here because it makes our normal customers feel uncomfortable".  My family, what is left of them never invite me to a family function, I am the oldest grandchild in my own mother's family, her family has a big family reunion every Thanksgiving.  My mother is long dead and I am very old, but never was I invited to that family reunion.  Is this type treatment what the "sick" girl who wanted to be blind was seeking?  Can you even imagine the "sickness" of the "person" who assisted her... "do no harm", and another phrase "the ends justifies the means".
When i was in school, cancer/diabetes/autism/Alzheimers were rare diseases.  Jesus told us that there would always be poor people, wars, and rumors of wars.  The world was sick when he was on earth.  Most human beings in the roman empire were slaves.  All women were little more than slaves, children had hard lives.  Today, in the most blessed nation in history 3,000 babies are killed each day in the abortion holocaust.  Women and young boys and girls are turned into sex slaves.  There is little happiness, few smiles, perhaps some at "happy hour" as the populous, struggle with their idols, addictions attempts to evade the paradoxes of the good life.  Looking around, perhaps the paradox, most have become blind... even assisting one another enabling their sighlessness.  We lose health seeking wealth we beat ourselves to death paying taxes, so that a small percentage of bureaucrats and politicians can live like the rich and famous.  We bask in the entrapment of the talking box, enthralled by men who want to be women, women who want to be men.  We think that more stuff, more toys, more things, will bring happiness.  We forget so easily just how fast life goes by, we forget so rapidly how long eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment