Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Selling Short


Short selling is the sale of a security that is not owned by the seller, or that the seller has borrowed. Short selling is motivated by the belief that a security's price will decline, enabling it to be bought back at a lower price to make a profit.

A lover asked his beloved,
Do you love yourself more
than you love me?


The beloved replied,
I have died to myself
and I live for you.


I’ve disappeared from myself
and my attributes.
I am present only for you.


I have forgotten all my learning,
but from knowing you
I have become a scholar.


I have lost all my strength,
but from your power
I am able.


If I love myself
I love you.
If I love you
I love myself.
-Do you love me? By Rumi

An English word etymologist came up with the ten most used words in the English vocabulary. The most bitter word, alone. Have we ever even considered the loneliness in the mind of human beings (The only animals who can think), who are disabled (Blind, deaf, crippled, mentally handicapped), those who are in pain, those who are confused, sensitive, different. Have you ever considered how lonely the unusual mind, one who is Christ-centered, one who is careful in his spending and investing (The careful investor is called by his family and friends; tightwad, frugal, they do not understand that any successful entrepreneur-business man-investor, learns early in life that dimes make dollars and that dollars take care of themselves).
It is a blessed person who can find one other human being with which to share his spiritual faith. One with whom he can pray, one with whom he can freely discuss commitment and concern for God’s word. All the world is full of pretenders, fakers, even in pulpits, who speak the language (You can teach a parrot to talk, but you learn so quickly those who are in genuine in their confidence), the airways are full of Christian radio, mostly Sunday morning sermons from well known preachers, mostly “canned” music that any station, any person can purchase. There are many political radio talk-shows where convinced-concerned people can call and express their passion: very few Christian talk-shows (James Dodson, one of the few). This writer has learned that Catholic radio has real-genuine Christian talk-shows…Capable hosts who can disentangle many false impressions who actually know and promote the Christian message-the gospel. Don’t sell Catholic talk-shows short, simply because you do not believe everything in the Catholic dogma. I hear just as much debatable theology from Evangelical pulpits. Why are there over 20,000 different Evangelical denominations… And those who are really trodden upon, declare themselves as non-denomination. In the Christian message, the true gospel, there should be no confusion: “Sins ruin in Christ’s redemption.” These words have been spoken by me in blogs for many years, and yet, I feel so alone in my conviction.
DON’T SELL SHORT those of us who are not like you. Just because a person is blind, disabled in some other way, not as attuned as you are in love with this “present” world does not mean we cannot participate.
I never cease to be amazed when I go into a restaurant with a friend, and of course, I have to be with one because I am totally blind, the server never puts a menu in front of me, because she assumes that if blind, dumb. Never forget that no matter your disability, your illness, the person you are talking to can always come up with someone in worse condition.
Human effort has failed to solve America’s problems… Isn’t it amazing the mess that normal people can make? My very good friend, Dr. John East, professor, later a United States senator, in a wheelchair from youth, who was called a cripple on the floor of the US Senate. He once said to me, “The disabled life is hardly worth living… We get none of the joys and advantages that our “normal” friends enjoy and aspire.” He later killed himself.
The first time I was in Russia, walking with a friend of mine, who was an official of WOR-TV, New York City, we both remarked about the number of drunks in Russia. By the time we left, we had decided that anyone, in order to live in that god-forsaken country, USSR, would have to stay drunk. Don’t sell short those who from no cause of their own, are victimized by the extravagances that they visit upon others. Don’t sell short children from homes of abuse, wives living with husbands of abuse, young people who carry around in their brain the confusion of sexual dilemma (The great actress, Betty Davis, said “Sexy is the biggest joke God played on mankind”). Don’t sell short those who in an attempt to escape, look to prescription drugs for rescue: the bottom of a liquor bottle: overeating-overspending-over leisure (Why do so many young people find escape in video games?) There is a chasm of loneliness in their mind, that only God in his tender mercy can fill.
Your mind is very alone in a world of business and confusion. You must have something to hold onto, such as the words of the one who, through the stars and space, “Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee” (Hebrews 13:5).


No comments:

Post a Comment