Wednesday, April 8, 2020

April 8, 2020

A letter to the Governor

103 Ann Street
Wilmington, North Carolina 28401

April 7, 2020

The Honorable Roy Cooper, Governor
State of North Carolina
1 E Edenton Street
Raleigh, North Carolina 27601                                                Re:  The Chill of “Sick Care”


Dear Sir:

I feel the necessity for someone with your concern and your ability to get things done to assist our state and someone such as me.  I am now and have been for over 50 years totally blind, 100% disabled, service connected Army Medical Officer, and veteran of the Korean Conflict era.

Since 1996, I have been fighting cancer.  I live alone in a house which I own and over the years have enjoyed success in real estate and other investments.

With the recent terror of the Corona Virus which in order to save the country is destroying the country, I have confined myself to the bedroom.  Because of my sickness I cannot be alone in sickness or death. I never leave the house except to go to the Oncologist.

Yesterday was one of these days.  I have around the clock care assist and take care of me night and day. One of my assistants to me took me to a prearranged appointment at Wilmington Health (1202 Medical Center Drive, Wilmington, North Carolina 28401).  She took me in a wheel chair into the facility. One would think they would isolate a 90 year old man. For one (1) hour was pushed from place to place around people with who knows what disease. I have been very ill since.

In my experience as Staff Officer in Army hospitals, we would not enter a “chill” and carelessness of care such as this. We are so particular in my house to keep me isolated from the biologicals of life and death that we even spray the shoes of everyone who enters the house. Those of us in the “sick care” field and those of us who experience acceptable care just as the hundreds who have encountered the virus know the necessity for complete care IF our nation had started corrective procedures when first it appeared in China…the virus would have never taken over this nation and we would not have the situation we have now.

This writer – this old Army Officer – and what he says should be evaluated by his life.  I was born and raised in poverty on an eastern North Carolina tobacco farm…attending a country school.  There were 13 students in my graduating class. I did get into UNC-CH and the University of Tennessee where working nights and summers I made enough to pay my way and graduate as an Army Medical Officer. Because of my blindness and other disabilities, I have been alone in the world but I still have paid much local, state, and federal taxes.

The Veterans’ Administration had done almost nothing for me.  My records are open for your perusal.  I believe there is a slackness--almost uncontrolled carelessness in places where “sick care” should be of great importance to all caregivers.

Jehovah God, my parent, and a few friends know what I lived through for my education and living these past 60 years. I feel someone somewhere should be concerned about the “sick care” community (caregivers).

There needs to be a resurgence of empathy for the sick-dying people. God has told those of us saved by his marvelous grace that he will never leave us nor forsakes us…Hebrew 13:5.

I know that I will survive such care if God in his infinite wisdom wants me to survive. I am asking you to be concerned about the many that need care and cannot write letters. I am available to discuss my situation with anyone by phone.

Interesting to you I have been to mainland China three (3) times. In Manchuria while there I was invited to a large hospital to tell you what went on when the internal organs form prisoners were transferred to other sick people. My friend told me they had their mouths taped this is what we are up against. You now understand what this old veteran is up against.

Thank you,




Thomas R. Morris, MD, DS,
Lt. Colonel, Retired US Army
Service# 02279407
SS# 412543714
910.251.6218 (C)
910.762.9467 (H)

dicitated


Cc:  Facebook and Other Social Media
       NCDHHS
       Star News
       Wilmington Health
       Emailed to Others

No comments:

Post a Comment