Friday, September 16, 2011

Stewardship


About ten years following graduation, I still had some sight at the time, was still risking my life and the lives to others by driving, I stopped by a city in Alabama where a classmate was in practice. He had joined the practice of his outstanding father. Large building, well trained technicians, everything that a doctor would want.


He said, “I want you to see my home.” In his expensive car we drove to his home up in the foothills of the city. It was magnificent, commanding one hillside. Through every window a beautiful view. I said, “Why would anyone want to go to heaven and leave this?” This committed Christian said, “Walk through and put a sticky note on everything I will take with me to heaven when I die.” I don't believe he was sure about his wife, he said, “the only thing I will take with me my children, my bible written in my heart”.


When I was a youngster in Sunday school, and we had lessons on stewardship, I thought it was just about giving money to God. Stewardship involves everything, the separated life, conservative in everything, in politics. I do not want anyone to tell me they are conservative unless conservative in every way. I have seen too many hungry people in the world (8 around the world trips) to put food in a garbage can. I have seen too many desperately poor people desperate for shelter, clothing, to take any comfort lightly.


In my lifetime, I have seen my country turn into a perverse nation... bankrupt financially, bankrupt morally, bankrupt spiritually.


When God designed, in His mind, and just spoke, the design of the universe, the world and everything in it was perfect. He gave little consideration to our wants-desires only our needs. Before conception; egg and sperm, in His mind, He had each of us individually, and our needs, in His plan. He only wants our trust and our showing our love for Him by returning to Him just a part of what He has given us. WE CANNOT OUTGIVE GOD. WE CAN GIVE WITHOUT LOVING BUT, WE CANNOT LOVE WITHOUT GIVING He expects stewardship of our things, our mind, our tongue, thoughts, energy. He sees no sweat under our armpits, no callouses on our knees. (Tradition, disciple Thomas had callouses on his knees from spending so much time in payer). Man's wisdom, wars, technology, scientific exploits... always thinking we can improve on God's work. Control of weeds with chemical weed killer, (Roundup) has led to super weeds. Control of staph infections with antibiotics has led to super “bugs”. Blessed with food-giving plants, plants with seed for further production. We now have GMO seed. Believe it or not, there are countrys that do not allow genetically-modified seed. The country of Hungary destroyed many acres of corn because they do not allow genetically-modified seed. The horror story is just beginning for people who eat genetically-modified food... seedless grapes, seedless watermelon, GMO corn, beans, etc.


This week we have memorial services involving 9-11-2001 when “supposedly” two planes brought down two towers of the World Trade Center ( the third tower, building 7 not hit by plane) “fell” later One plane “supposedly” hitting the Pentagon. There is no doubt about a plane around 10am (United Flight 93) crashing on a field around Shanksville PA... leaving a crater, grave site for 45 (passengers). The plane was totally demolished. First arrivals at the scene saw one tire and amazingly, a scorched Bible. It is rewarding to know that in the stewardship of our time, some, even on flights, read God's Word.


Ancients describe faith as safety and security in the cleft of a rock or under a mother bird's wing.


When you have money, you have what money can do. When you have government, you have what government can do. When you have family, friends, neighbors, you have what they can do. When you have the Power of God in your life , demonstrated through your Christian stewardship and through you prayer life, you have what God can do. If there is anything, this world, this nation, our individual lives need, it is what God can do.


1He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

3Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

4He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.



-Psalm 91




No comments:

Post a Comment