Monday, August 4, 2014

Confused Affections


Trees
By: Joyce Kilmer


I think that I shall never see 
A poem lovely as a tree. 

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest 
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast; 

A tree that looks at God all day, 
And lifts her leafy arms to pray; 

A tree that may in summer wear 
A nest of robins in her hair; 

Upon whose bosom snow has lain; 
Who intimately lives with rain. 

Poems are made by fools like me, 
But only God can make a tree. 


-------------------------------------
"Those who have no children, take pleasure in little dogs and cats."

People must have an object of affection, and if they have not something noble, they will accept something less. Just so, those who disdain to live for God, will live for their own bellies.

If we do not live in all seriousness for a noble object--the probability is that we shall trifle our lives away in doing nothing! Are we prepared for this? Will we be numbered with cat-worshipers and dog-adorers?

My God, save me from petty and paltry objects! Deliver me from worthless amusements and hobbies! May the objects of my life's pursuit be worthy of an immortal spirit, worthy of an heir of Heaven!

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ--set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things!" Colossians 3:1-2 


-------------------------------------
Addition Dr. Morris-


This writer is an old blind man, living alone. I'm sure that a pet would be great company to me. I never cared that much for cats, but I think I would like a dog.

I was raised on a dirt road, large, bleak tobacco farm. We had dogs as work animals. Back then, before the time of air conditioning, we slept with our windows open at night. I still sleep with my window open at night. There is nothing on this earth as unhealthy as sleeping in an air conditioned room.

I remember hearing those collie dogs patrolling the farm-home place at night. They would let us know if anything were out of order... a cow jumping a fence, a hog "rooting" under a fence. My parents never allowed a dog inside the house.

I remember, as if yesterday, when I realized the depth to which humanity had sunk in regard to animals. I saw this young mother walking down the street carrying a dog while dragging along her small child. The child was crying, wanting attention, she would hit the child every so often with her dog leash. I understand now many women actually push dogs around town in baby carriages or strollers. You see, you can hire someone to train a dog, it takes a mother and father's love to train a child.

I was sitting across the table, at a large civic club luncheon, local baptist pastor. He was talking or perhaps bragging about how much money he spent each year just on veterinarian bills for his dog... special food, care for his animal. I said to him, does not the bible refer to this as unnatural affection. Oh, if man could only take the first chapter of Romans out of the bible (Romans 1:25-32). There are many other scriptures regarding unnatural affections. This pastor never spoke to me again.

My father, dirt farmer-tax paying-god fearing leader in the community, never allowed us to pet farm animals because as he said, 'God put livestock on this Earth for a purpose... for eating not for petting.' Of course, in my world travels, I saw butchered dogs in food shops in Asia. We should learn, early in life, to keep everything in perspective, the knowledge that man is made in the image of God. That he expects us to love one another, that even the most innocent still in the womb, even the old and sick heading for the tomb. I have lectured about animals in the home in many places. I can think of nothing more unhealthy for your small child, toddler-crawling on the floor, than wall to wall carpet on which not only the pollution of shoe soles leave every type of bacteria
but animals, such as a dog, tracking his feet and behind all over the carpet or sofa and then your child exposed to these germs.

No comments:

Post a Comment