Saturday, September 23, 2017

Citizenship

More dangerous than any nuclear weapon, the loss of trust between the American people, particularly the loss of trust between government and its military forces. This totally blind, 100%  disabled medical officer veteran, now 87 years of age, so admires President Trump who promised to clean out the hog pen, drain the swamp, that pit of corruption called Washington D.C.
As a young man, my parents, grandparents, for many generations, the only Republicans in the community, I made the decision that if  I was going to progress in any way in the Democratic stronghold called North Carolina, I must become a member of the Democrat party. Back then, the solid South was conservative: God fearing, Bible believing, hard working conservatives. The very idea of same-sex marriage, promotion of abortion, unisex bathrooms were a shame or embarrassment that we would not even think about. As bad as “Jim Crowe laws”, separate water fountains, separate toilets, separate schools, nothing could prepare those of us in advanced age for what we are seeing now. Certainly, we could not have imagined the time that our government would find it more productive, CHEAPER to bury a veteran than to care for one. I remember the time Drew Pearson, H.V. Kaltenborn, Gabriel Heater… men of principal, personalities who would have died before giving false or deceptive news. Now, the media has become the most powerful political party in the nation and the Republican party to whom I fled when I became so disgusted with the Democrats who have lost all moral scruples, political principles.
As president of the young Democrats in North Carolina, a Korean veteran, I set at a table in the Sir Walter Hotel, Raleigh, with governor Terry Sanford and congressman L.C. Fountain, they said, “Democrats will always control NC because we control the black and liberal farm vote.” I could not repudiate my ancestry, I had seen Democrat officials haul black voters (whom they were registered to vote) to the polls in their cars… Give them a candy bar for them to mark their ballot. I fully knew that you could not get a job in a state hospital, state public school, state college, work on a state road unless you were a voting Democrat. One of my black friends came back from WW2, still wearing his uniform and when he reached North Carolina, he was forced to ride in the back of the public bus. He would cry as he told this experience, a decorated veteran, forced to ride in the back of the bus. As a boy, he had polished David Brinkley’s shoes on the streets of Wilmington and had given his very best to his country. This is the shame of our immoral VA, and immoral Democrat party, an immoral public which allows veterans to be treated as 2nd-class citizens. My black veteran friend requested that when he died, he wanted the hearse to carry his body down Castle Street, the longtime black street in Wilmington. I had my driver to take me down and I stood on the street as the hearse carried the flag-covered casket down the street. The last thing I could do for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment