Friday, January 22, 2010

Catbird Seat




The catbird seat is an idiomatic phrase used to describe an enviable position, often in terms of having the upper hand or greater advantage in all types of dealings among parties. The first recorded usage occurred in a 1942 humorous short story by James Thurber titled The Catbird Seat. I think of the 'catbird seat' every time I encounter someone in a position of authority (or not) who has nothing better to do than to observe every intricacy of others activities. Most of these people have no life of their own, they live vicariously through the observation and interference in the lives of others. Right this minute, one of my neighbors is probably watching the parking lot or street to make sure no one is illegally parked.

On returning from an around the world trip, this time flying from Hong Kong to Hawaii, I always sat, if possible, in the beginning seats of the tourist section, because often, if a seat were vacant in first class, a stewardess asked if I wished to sit there. On this fight, since I can walk in a plane without my white cane, I had walked to the rear of the plane to the washroom. One British catbird, spied me, immaculate in my new, light gray, suit which had been tailored in Tai Pei, and which I was wearing home in order to save on customs. In my dark glasses, new suit, always spectacular tie, I must have looked like someone straight out of GQ. This person asked me if I were Lord Jacob Rothschild, the famed British financier and head of the Rothschild family; one of Europe's wealthiest. My secretary, looking at his picture, tells me there is a resemblance. I told him that I had doubts that a Rothschild would fly 'tourist class'.

Anyway, in Hawaii, at the immigration desk, two officers walked up to me and told me to come with them. They explained that they had reason to believe that I was bringing a large sum of money into the United States and that one is limited to $5,000. I can be sarcastic, and I said, “I hope you can find it!” This did not go over too well, so they had me strip, looking at my shoes, etc. The thing that stopped the search instantly, was the military identification in my wallet. He said, “You are a retired Colonel? Put your clothes back on, we are very sorry.” As I proceeded back to gather up my things, both were very apologetic, having been lead on a wild goose chase by this British catbird. One said, “I was stationed at Fort Jackson when in the military.” I said, “I couldn't care less where you were stationed, just leave this old, blind veteran alone. I have traveled the world many times, but it is only in the United States that you get such callous treatment.” I should have been relaxed because in the nice white handkerchief, which I always wear in my suit vest pocket, I was evading customs with some nice jewelry in that handkerchief. If they had found that, (which I feared, and was being very careful about removing my coat) I could have been in deep 'doo-doo'.

Our blessed Lord, giving us an example to follow in every way, exhibited an attitude of being meek and lowly. Though God incarnate, He strolled the world in servitude. I was a member of a large Baptist church for many years, the two pastors always made their entrance, onto the pulpit, fully robed, during the singing of the first hymn. They took the attitude of celebrity; much like Dr. Gene Scott, who had a curtain pulled when he arrived on the pulpit. It is a mockery of the verisimilitude of shepherding. Like Eugene O'Neill's famous play, Mourning Becomes Electra, humility is the essence of all Christian activity.

Speaking of Dr. Scott, I listened to this unusual preacher on the radio for many years, not because of his lifestyle, but because of his astounding knowledge of theology. As a pastor, he did not visit any of the people who attended the University Cathedral (his church). He said, “When I preach the truth from this pulpit, I do not want any of my members to think I am talking about them from something I have observed in their home or their life activities. I am going to tell the truth, whether it hurts you or not.” From his catbird seat, he felt the entire purpose of his ministry was to teach; to attract people to his teaching, in person, on radio or on television, using any method possible. Now, he really looked like a catbird, preaching and smoking a cigar at the same time. He wanted to set himself apart from the conventional.

In our natural system of 'survival of the fittest', we see a determined cat perched for hours, grab an unsuspecting bird. In Africa, on the great plains of the Kalahari, lions would lie in wait, for hours, when a herd of wildebeests came running by, just to get a chance at one of the disabled or a mother who had dropped her baby. This is survival in the animal world, they live by instinct. They live by superior musculature, smell, sight, coatings which blend with the bush, but man is made in the image of God, with a superior nervous system and the ability to think and make decisions. Genus homosapian is the only animal that knows he's going to die. How tragic it is, that many of our species think they should live and die like the lower animals.

When studying the scripture, or even history, associate yourself with the worst human beings, and see if you can determine why they did and do get caught in a life of degradation. It bothers me that young people from abroad do everything possible to get to this land of opportunity. Over half the graduate students in US universities are from abroad. In NYC, the familiar explanation was, a family from Asia will operate a fruit stand in front of a building in Manhattan. In a short time, they own the building behind the fruit stand, and later, they own the entire block. I noticed, living in Manhattan part-time for many years, that there was always an older family member, a catbird, who was watching every thing that went on in these businesses, large or small. They knew what they were doing. They appreciated their opportunities, large and small. In talking with foreigners in New York, that were here on a visa, each just wanted opportunities. We all know people, born and raised in the United States, who have had such marvelous opportunities, every advantage, and then just flitted it away with indifference, ingratitude, addictions and irresponsibility. Some catbird, in their family, should have warned them, that with American citizenship, comes responsibility. As we old folks know, life goes by very quickly and it is next to impossible to retract or regain what has been thrown away.

A fake diamond doesn't cost very much; a real diamond does. You measure the quality of a diamond by its hardness. Accomplishment is not easy. In every family, every school, every church, every community, there should be a catbird watching, encouraging. The greatest weapon Satan has in his arsenal is discouragement, and believe me, we ALL go through it. The lost word in most vocabularies is concern. Be glad if there is someone concerned about your development. It is when we do our worst that we know God loves us most. The time I learned how much God loved me was when I was leaving a hospital room, knowing that I would forever be totally blind. I immediately walked into a wall and fell. But, I GOT UP and God has been helping me get up in my blind condition ever since. Although I do and did fail him many times, he has NEVER failed me.

Be thankful, those of you who have the good sense to believe in an omnipotent, omniscient, almighty God, that he loves you most when you have done your worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment